forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Diwaker Gupta <diwa...@apache.org>
Subject Profiling Forrest [FOR-572]
Date Sat, 20 Aug 2005 18:40:22 GMT
Greetings everyone,

Ron has done some excellent work on profiling Forrest (see [1], [2]). Since
then I've been looking at how can we integrate profiling into Forrest's build
process. My requirements were:

o open source (not necessarily, but preferable)
o good integration with our build process (so for instance, I would like to
generate a "debug" version of Forrest through our Ant build files)
o meaningful reports
o good documentation, active development
o *no* modification to the source code of the application to be profiled
should be required. Byte code instrumentation is OK though.

To start off, I found a list of open source Java profiling tools [3]. After
doing a preliminary check-off (by looking at web site, features and so on), I
settled on JRat [4]. I might try something else later, but for now this is
what I played with.

So here's what I have right now:

o I can do a simple ./build.sh jar.debug -- this creates a "debug" version of
Forrest. When you next run Forrest, the data will be automatically logged.
Where and how and what to log is all configurable via an XML file

o JRat has a nice GUI to view the generated log reports. I presume it will not
be too hard to write our own parsers if we so wish. You can see an example of
the kinds of reports it can generate here:

http://people.apache.org/~diwaker/forrest-jrat-stat-method.png
http://people.apache.org/~diwaker/forrest-jrat-rate-method.png
http://people.apache.org/~diwaker/forrest-jrat-tree-method.png

These were generated after running Forrest on site-author.

JRat is released under LGPL. Right now its at version 0.71b. Development seems
ok (just one guy actually). Documentation is ok, but could get better.

So what do devs think of this? If we find this valuable, I can commit
everything to SVN. You can checkout JRat website for documentation and other
details.

Diwaker

[1] http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.text.xml.forrest.devel/14875
[2] http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.text.xml.forrest.devel/15261