forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject whitespace cleanup
Date Sat, 20 Aug 2005 03:34:08 GMT
> Added:
>     forrest/trunk/site-author/content/xdocs/developer-guide.xml   (with props)
[ snip]
> +    <section id="whitespace">
> +      <title>Whitespace, line breaks, and tabs</title>
> +      <p>These are simple, but essential, topics for contributing to Forrest.

> +      </p>
> +      <ul>
> +        <li>Thou shalt leave no trailing whitespace in your files.</li>
> +        <li>Thou shalt convert all tabs to whitespace.</li>
> +        <li>Thou shalt break lines at reasonable line length.</li>
> +        <li>...</li>
> +      </ul>
> +      <p>To reduce the chances of you making poor whitespace, line break, or tab
mistakes, you
> +        should use the features of the text editor of your choice.  Many text editors
have options
> +        like: "Strip trailing whitespaces from lines when saving" and "Convert new tabs
to spaces."
> +        It's helpful to everyone if you go ahead and configure your editor to prevent
you from making
> +        lazy mistakes in the future.
> +      </p>
> +      <fixme author="twilliams">I don't understand the whole dos2unix || unix2dos
line endings thing so
> +        someone that does needs to help clearly explain that properly. (See commented
references for
> +        source material)
> +      </fixme>
> +      <!--
> +      source material for line endings.
> +      http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?t=111850048800001&r=1&w=2
> +      -->
> +    </section>

This is actually not correct. The editor needs to not touch whitespace at
all (unless to format new files). Existing whitespace needs to be left as-is
otherwise there will be complex diffs when the devloper contributes a patch.
We need to gradually cleanup the whitespace inconsistencies in our
SVN first, then people can do auto-formatting properly.

There was a huge discussion at Cocoon:
 Re: whitespace cleanup and efficiency drive
 http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?t=106843997700002

The dos2unix stuff is discussed:
http://cocoon.apache.org/community/committer.html
http://www.apache.org/dev/version-control.html#https-svn