forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Forrest Tuesday (Was: Bug Days (Was Re: better use of Jira for Forrest))
Date Thu, 18 Aug 2005 14:05:23 GMT
Ross Gardler wrote:
> Cyriaque Dupoirieux wrote:
> >David Crossley a ?crit :
> >>
> >>The remainder of this old thread led to a bit of a cleanup.
> >>
> >>It also led to a brilliant idea about a regular bug day
> >>which we should instigate soon.
> >
> >When will we decide the regular bug day ?
>
> Are you volunteering to organise it? I do hope so ;-)

More surprises for Cyrique's return.
I have started to investigate what is involved.

> Cocoon do this fairly regularly and so we could just borrow their
> techniques see
> http://wiki.apache.org/cocoon/FirstFriday

They used to. It went quiet for a while.
Hope that it is back now, it was great.

> There isn't much to be done, just remind the dev and user list when it
> will occur a few times before the event.
>
> We'd need the infrastructure to work with, such as wiki page, IRC
> channel but this is a simple one-off set up. I would think Cocoon will
> be happy for us to use their Wiki since we don't have one.
>
> We'd also need someone to craft a mail/wiki page telling us all how to
> participate.

I would rather use a document at forrest.a.o/ => Project.
That how-to-participate information doesn't change much.

We can use the Cocoon wiki if we need to have
a whiteboard for the day. Or does someone have
better ideas on collaborative techniques.

In our earlier discussions, we agreed that we don't
want to have the channel as a permanent means of
communication. So i looked into how to restrict it.
Just start a new channel at the beginning of the
day with name like for-09 and it will close when
the last one of us leaves at the end of the 24 hours.
Simple.

The other thing that we need to do is to log the session.
I will do that locally this time, unless someone knows
how to do a logger bot. We can put the result into
our events SVN.

> With repsect to when, I agree with Davids comments that the first
> something in a month is easy to remember. I agree Modays is bad for the
> same reasons (back to work overhead).
>
> I would suggest Friday is bad because some of Friday UTC is Saturday
> elsewhere in the world and since I don't want to "work" on Saturday's
> I'm guessing others will feel the same way. However, since I am in GMT
> this doesn't affect me so I won't object to a Friday if that is what
> others want.
>
> I'd be fine with:
>
> First Tuesday
> First Wednesday
> First Thursday
>
> I have a slight preference for Tuesdays.

So the first "Forrest Tuesday" would be 6 September.

> Lets remind ourselves that we are not talking about being available for
> the whole 24 hours, or even every bug day. We are simply trying to
> identify the day that would be most likely to see us being able provide
> *some* time during the 24 hours in *some* months.

Unless you get excited and stay up all night.
I remember that Antonio and i did that on one
Cocoon First Friday.

> As with all things Open Source no-one *expects* others to be present on
> Bug Days, we just hope to see you.

Looking forward to it. Two and half weeks away.

Each meeting could either just concentrate on getting Jira
under control or have a special topic like a group effort
to move the core to use xhtml2.

Also it is a place for us to get to know each
other a little.

-David