forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: svn commit: r233106 - /forrest/trunk/site-author/content/xdocs/guidelines.xml
Date Thu, 18 Aug 2005 05:54:55 GMT
Tim Williams wrote:
> > Author: crossley
> > +      We use the
> > +      <link href="http://www.apache.org/foundation/glossary.html#CommitThenReview">Commit-then-review</link>
> > +      method. This basically means that committers conduct a very minor
> > +      review of each patch, looking for major issues such as licensing
> > +      issues and obvious things that would break the build of trunk.
> > +      Otherwise they would add the patch as-is, then everyone will
> > +      review the changes.
> >    </section>
>
> This may be a nit-picky question, but this description isn't very
> clear.  It would seem that the "code management" has a different
> description for committers than devs providing patches.  In general,
> for committers, it's full CTR -- changes are committed, then lazily
> reviewed by other devs.
>
> For devs submitting patches, it's more of a RCTR (Review Comit Then
> Review) process.  Or at least some committers are [fortunately]
> providing this pre-cursor review.  I may be the only one not clear on
> your words though...

You are correct - the clarification needs clarification.
I have spent today making another attempt.

Actually i have introduced confusion with the above change.
The term "review-then-commit" is a method for decision-making
rather than a prescription for how a committer should operate.

Anyway, i will try to get the new version committed today.

-David