forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [PMC] change the procedure for new committers
Date Thu, 18 Aug 2005 01:06:10 GMT
Tim Williams wrote:
> Ross Gardler wrote:
> > David Crossley wrote:
> > >
> > > However there are two potential problems there:
> > >
> > > What if the new person refused to submit the CLA?
> > > I cannot see why - it doesn't take away any of
> > > their rights.
> >
> > If someone does refuse then that would lead to an interesting and
> > valuable onlist discussion. Although I agree, I don't think anyone ever
> > would.
>
> One reason I could see is that they may not be their rights to assign
> and they may not look into it until after they accept the
> committer/pmc offer.  For example, I had my corporate legal review the
> CLA *after* I accepted the offer to become a committer.  In my case,
> the way contracts are written, both my customer and company jointly
> own the IP for my work on contract so both have to agree to it.  Since
> I've yet to get anyone to pay me to do Forrest-related work;) it's not
> yet an issue for me.  One could argue that this should be looked into
> before accepting and that sounds reasonable, it just didn't happen in
> my case.

Great stuff Tim, exactly the discussion that we need.

So it would be best to wait until a CLA is recorded.
That step can take some time, but it is worth the wait.

Any issues about the CLA should probably be discussed
in private. Sure it would be good for the community
to understand the issues via an open discussion,
however i imagine that the person and their employer
would not want this. So that would be done on our
pmc@ list if that is what the person wants. We can
also generalise the issues and take them to the
legal-discuss list.

Please all committers remember that you need to
continually re-assess your situation. You might need
to submit a Corporate CLA as well as an Individual CLA
if you contribute changes that are done with work-related
resources.

-David