forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Diwaker Gupta <diwa...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Using Jira and branches for Project Management
Date Tue, 16 Aug 2005 06:56:43 GMT
Thanks for a wonderful roundup of issues, Ross.

On Saturday 13 August 2005 4:00 am, Ross Gardler wrote:
> We are getting larger as a developer base. As a consequence there is an
> increasing tendencies for small numbers of devs to work on different
> sections of the code base. As a result we are becoming a little
> disorganised - one virtual team not knowing what the other is doing.

I agree. Even the mailing list is overwhelming these days, let alone JIRA.

> Jira is the tool for keeping track of this stuff so that we can track
> and prioritise things. However I'm not too sure what the best way of
> utilising this resource is. DOes anyone have an experiences to share?

I think voting on issues is a good idea. It will give us a feel of what users
and developers want and can be a good starting point for a roadmap document.

<off-topic>

IMHO, we do not practice "release early, release often", often enough :) This
has been mentioned on the list before (see [1], [2]), however I don't think
it has actually seeped into our development just as yet.

[1] http://article.gmane.org/gmane.text.xml.forrest.devel/14805/
[2] http://article.gmane.org/gmane.text.xml.forrest.devel/11665/

Take a look at our release durations:
o 0.2 -> 0.3 : 2 months
o 0.3 -> 0.4 : 1 month
o 0.4 -> 0.5 : 7 months
o 0.5 -> 0.6 : 1 YEAR
o 0.6 -> 0.7 : 8 months
o 0.7 -> 0.8 : 2 months and counting...

I just think that releasing as soon as we have some set of self contained
features in is a good idea. It gives confidence to the users that all is well
-- I mean what the end user usually sees are "releases".

Talking about users, what do people think of doing a survey of Forrest users.
During the time that I've hung around the lists, I've noticed that often
times people start in the user-list, then slowly migrate to the dev-list and
some eventually end up as devs, which is just *great*.

However, I do think that we need to put in some more efforts to publicize
Forrest, make it more visible. Having an overlap between users and dev is not
only good, but IMHO necessary, but we still need to expand our user base.

</off-topic>

Diwaker
--
Web/Blog/Gallery: http://floatingsun.net