forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Using Jira and branches for Project Management
Date Mon, 15 Aug 2005 04:31:38 GMT
Tim Williams wrote:
> Ross Gardler wrote:
> > Tim Williams wrote:
> > >
> > > I guess, I just think JIRA is not well suited for allowing people to
> > > get their mind around the big picture of where we might be heading.
> >
> > I would think it is the way we are using Jira that is the problem, not
> > Jira itself.
> >
> > Do my comments above go any way of convincing people of this or am I
> > "barking up the wrong tree" (is that an UK or a universal saying? it's
> > about dogs chasing cats so I suppose it could be universal)
>
> Yes, I guess this is a case of me not really "understanding" JIRA's
> power.  Your reply here has caused me to look at JIRA in a new way.  I
> always thought of it as just a simple bug-tracker but now that I took
> another spin around it with your comments in mind, I see how it might
> be possible to use it to manage exactly what I described above.
> Essentially using a filter for Version=0.8 AND
> IssueType=NewFeature_OR_Improvement get's close to what I wanted
> (though knowing this, we should strive for better titling and
> grammar).

Yes we would need to continually review titles and
categorisation and descriptions.

> Then for specific more granular issues, just create
> sub-tasks on the feature.    In other words, I think you're barking up
> the right tree, it just took some time to click for me.

Cocoon use Bugzilla to create a roadmap and release schedule
by defining tasks and dependencies. Not sure if they still
actively do this.
http://wiki.apache.org/cocoon/ProjectManagement

>  Of course,
> while it automates the creation of the Roadmap I spoke of, it would
> need another document (or an expansion of the issues one) to describe
> how to properly use JIRA.

I made a change the other day so that our "Bugs and Issues"
navigation link goes via a local page, rather than directly
to Jira. That will let us explain how to use it and point
to some specific summaries. Not yet publshed, i will do that
later today.

-David