forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Using Jira and branches for Project Management
Date Mon, 15 Aug 2005 02:54:23 GMT
Ross Gardler wrote:
> Tim Williams wrote:
>
> >4) It would answer a question I've been having lately -- how do we
> >know when 0.8, 0.9, etc. is "done" and ready for release?  Having a
> >feature list would allow us to check off sets of features, thus
> >knowing that we're ready for release when all of the issues associated
> >with the features are resolved.  (i suppose there's an implicit or
> >explicity mapping between features and jira issues)

We can always revise the list of features, to associate
some with a future release, thereby enabling a timely
release (see below).

Having the aims documented somehow, is definitely necessary.

> 0.8 is done when the number of outstanding issues for 0.8 is 0. This is
> one thing we *have* been using Jira for.

I disagree. We do not need the count of outstanding issues
to be zero. We can make a release with known issues.

We have always said we want to release early and often.
Unfortunately that hasn't happened, which causes the
need for a release.

We seem to have decided to make a release because
it is past time, then use one of our major milestones
to give a focus. We would reassess the list of issues,
delay some, then address any major outstanding issues,
then do the release.

> But the problem is we have, in
> the past, only turned our attention to Jira when we are getting a
> release ready. So it only makes sense in those last stages.

Yes, the use that we have made of Jira is okay
but there is much more that we could do.

> >I guess, I just think JIRA is not well suited for allowing people to
> >get their mind around the big picture of where we might be heading.
>
> I would think it is the way we are using Jira that is the problem, not
> Jira itself.
>
> Do my comments above go any way of convincing people of this or am I
> "barking up the wrong tree" ...

You are on target. I reckon that a blend of documentation
and issue tracker is required.

-David