forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Interactive Forrest command
Date Wed, 10 Aug 2005 23:22:33 GMT
Johannes Schaefer wrote:
> Ross Gardler schrieb:
> > Johannes Schaefer wrote:

> >> Now that I've read Ross' answer to Gav's questions about
> >> contributing ... what about making a simple 'forrest'
> >> become more interactive? Right now it builds forrest (huh?)
> >> and displays the "run forrest -project-help" message.
> >
> > Actually, the default behaviour for "forrest" is to run "forrest site".
>
> OK, I did it in an *empty* directory without doing
> 'forrest seed' first. On a first glance it looked
> like a forrest build to me. This might be highly
> confusing for beginners. So, another argument to
> put the "interactive guide" into 'forrest'.

It is even worse if 'forrest' is run in the wrong
directory of an existing setup. For example, when
building our own docs, i sometimes forget and do
it at the top-level, rather than in site-author.
The "site" target should check for the existence
of forrest.properties first before doing anything
else.

> >> Somebody typing just 'forrest' does not know how it is
> >> used. She would maybe expect some help or even better:
> >> an interactive guide to getting started with forrest.
> >
> > Yes that is a better place for the interactive target I described. So
> > options would be things like:
> >
> > site - build a forrest site in the current directory
> > run - run forrest in dynamic mode in the current directory
> > seed - create a simple starter site in the current directory
> > seed-sample - create a sample site...
> > seed-business - create a simple site template for a business
> > available-plugins - list all the plugins available for Forrest
>
> If the guide was intelligent, options would be like:
>
> $forrest
> "This directory does not contain a forrest project.
>  You can:
>  0. Get more help on options             (forrest project-help)
>  1. Seed an example project with content (forrest seed or seed-sample)
>  2. Seed a project skeleton              (forrest seed-basic)
>  3. Seed a business example              (forrest seed-business)
>  4. ...
> Your choice: _"
>
> $forrest
> "This directory contains a forrest project.
>  You can:
>  0. Get more help on options             (forrest project-help)
>  1. Start forrest in live mode           (forrest run)
>  2. Create a static site                 (forrest site)
>  3. Create a webapp to deplay in tomcat  (forrest webapp)
>  4. ...
> Your coice: _"
>
> But then, this looks like a wizard ;-)

Command-line wizards can be useful too.