forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Forrest blog
Date Mon, 08 Aug 2005 06:07:53 GMT
Diwaker Gupta wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I blog now and then about Forrest [1]. Just FYI -- in the hope that it will
> give Forrest a little more visibility.

Thanks. However i wonder why you just refer to the limited
xml.apache.org as examples of Forrest's spread. Our
"Example sites" page might be better.
http://forrest.apache.org/live-sites.html

Also did you know that blogs of some Apache committers
are aggregated at an independent http://planetapache.org/
I don't blog, but those of you that do might want to join.
It used to be in https://svn.apache.org/repos/private/committers/
See ./planet/README

> Meanwhile, I noticed a few days back that Forrest has been added to O'Reillys
> Codezoo [2].

Youch, don't like the way that they avoid the
download instructions, md5sum, pgp, etc. But that is
what we get with such places.

> The entry was made way back in October of last year, and is
> lagging behind a version.
>
> Unlike Freshmeat which relies on active feedback from users to keep project
> information uptodate, O'Reilly have decided [3] to use project specific DOAP
> [4] to pull in the project information periodically.
>
> How hard would it be to create a DOAP-over-Atom feed [5] for use at Codezoo?
> This will be an infrequently updated file, so the easiest solution would be
> to simply update it manually at each release. If we want to get fancy, we
> might integrate it with status.xml?
>
> Thoughts/Comments?

It would certainly be better to have it up-to-date
and under our control. We can maintain that in our
SVN at site-author as a raw unprocessed file.

Lets start off small, with a manual one. Later it
sounds like it would be a useful addition to
our projectInfo input plugin, probably a companion
output plugin.

Can this file be of use beyond the codezoo context?

-David