forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: simplified docbook plugin
Date Fri, 05 Aug 2005 01:09:33 GMT
Ross Gardler wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:
> >
> >Are you just talking about the stylesheet or the DTDs too?
> >The trouble with the DTDs is that they will make this
> >plugin, and our SVN trunk, very cumbersome. How many
> >versions of Full DocBook and Simplified DocBook will
> >we support?
>
> Good point, I wasn't thinking of the validation requirements. This
> requires a little more thought, I won't commit this change.

I wasn't worried so much about validation requirements.
Actually that should not be a concern of Forrest (though
certainly something we can help with).

The issue is more about efficiency. When the xml parser
encounters a document type declaration in an xml instance,
then it must resolve the DTD and everything that is thereby
referenced. So if you don't provide local copies, then there
are network trips on every parse.

We could not provide them, and just give people
documentation about how to configure their own.
In fact we already have that.

The trouble is that they don't. Then poor Forrest
would appear awfully slow to them.

> (I now remember we need to move the Docbook schema out of Core into the
> plugin now you fixed the catalog resolving for plugins).

Yeah, another job.

David