forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Thorsten Scherler <thors...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Automated formatting of XML files
Date Fri, 26 Aug 2005 18:22:01 GMT
On Fri, 2005-08-26 at 11:03 -0700, Diwaker Gupta wrote:
> On 8/26/05, Thorsten Scherler <thorsten@apache.org> wrote:
> > Can't we have *one* thread for that?
>
> I created two threads simply because of convinience. XML and Java will
> use different cleanup tools with a different set of configurations.
> They have different syntaxes and different types of cleanups we might
> want. So I just thought it would be easier for people to focus on one
> type of file at a time when they are giving their preferences.
> Apparently I was wrong :-)

That is perfectly alright but *maybe* a new thread with the actual
whitespace checklist would have been better because the criteria are
actually the same for all file.

It was not addressed to you starting two different threads.

> > formatting of Java files". Is there a reason to treat java seperate from
> > other files?
>
> There most certainly is.

I understand but on the other hand why not use something like
find . -name "*.$pattern"|grep -v "build"|grep -v ".svn" |awk '{print
"cat "$1 " |sed 's/$find/$replace/g' > "$1".new |mv "$1".new " $1}'|sh

that would not do the linebreaks and other formating stuff but would get
rid of the tabs and could be used over all file extension we have.

IMO regardless which tool we use for the job we still need to review all
files.

salu2
--
thorsten