forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Thorsten Scherler <thors...@apache.org>
Subject Re: use of whiteboard in forrest
Date Fri, 26 Aug 2005 17:37:08 GMT
On Fri, 2005-08-26 at 12:28 -0400, Tim Williams wrote:
> Can someone describe the intended use of the whiteboard in our svn?
> Is it a committers playground for project-related stuff?  I'm unclear
> when it should be used.
> Thanks,
> --tim

In lenya we call it sandbox which sounds like your playground. ;-)

The whiteboard should be renamed because its name is missleading. I
would rename it to incubator. Funny that http://incubator.apache.org/
has a tab "Whiteboard" which actually leads the user to the incubator
wiki (which makes a lot of sense when you are thinking about that
name). ;-)

The main purpose of the whiteboard is code incubation.
a) some code may be not finally finished but should be in the rep.
Sometimes this code have known bugs that needs fixing before it can go
out of this incubation.
b) some new feature may be bug free but still need some more community
support around it. We want prevent that components are getting "one-man"
shows which makes them hard to maintain in the future.
c) refactoring of "old" code into a new version which would break the
usability of the old code while refactoring.

salu2
--
thorsten

"Together we stand, divided we fall!"