forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Thorsten Scherler <thors...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Fallback resolver Vs. Locationmap (was Re: svn commit: r233401 - in /forrest/trunk: main/webapp/ main/webapp/WEB-INF/xconf/ site-author/ whiteboard/plugins/org.apache.forrest.plugin.internal.view/ whiteboard/plugins/org.apache.forrest.plugin.internal.view/resources/stylesheets/ whiteboard/plugi...)
Date Mon, 22 Aug 2005 21:31:26 GMT
On Mon, 2005-08-22 at 18:13 +0100, Ross Gardler wrote:
> Thorsten Scherler wrote:

> >>Does this fallback resolver work with the locationmap?
> >>

> > What do you mean?
>
> Can I use, for example {lm:{1}} as a URI.
>
> >>What does this do that the locationmap does not do?
> >>

> > It computes a dynamic path for fallback file.

> > The locationmap needs to be defined and edited. All fallbacks that you
> > want to use, you have to define before, not very suitable for a high
> > dynamic environment like views.
>
> Well something must be telling the fallback where to look. If you change
> the defaults that file must be edited too. So there is no difference here.

I do not see how the locationmap can help me with that and I see one big
differents:
<match pattern="rewriteDemo/**">
<select>
 <location src="http://www.burrokeet.org/{1}.fv" />
<!--How can you have dir fallbacks without defining the dir structure
here?-->
 <location src="http://www.burrokeet.org/{dir}{1}.fv" />
 <location src="http://www.burrokeet.org/default.fv" />
</select>
</match>

Due to the fact that it is a "simple" matcher/select/location mechanism
I cannot compute something like the fallback dir view like the action is
doing. If I can then please show me an example. Like I see it I need to
define all possible locations in a lm.

That is not suitable for views because an user cannot define *all*
possible locations. That would mean (s)he has to define all
subdirectories of h(er)is site and their fallback in the lm. ...or do I
miss something about the locationmap?

> > The action reads a location (uri) and scans it whether a file exist. If
> > not it will scan for any project specific fallbacks that may exist (see
> > above). After this it scans further for default fallbacks (see
> > FallbackResolverAction.java). Actually in above code we now can easily
> > instance the SourceTypeAction [1] and implement "content aware
> > views" (FOR-621).
> >
> > Can the loactionmap help me with all that?
>
> Yes, at least to the first part, the second part needs work, as with the
> fallback resolver.

No, the first cannot be solved with the lm. *ONLY* if you define the
whole fallback list (like stated above).

> See http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FOR-576 and notice it is Tim
> who got this to work so it may be better to have is opinion.

see above, you end up defining all fallbacks there.

> If I understand you the functionality is the same, and appears to be
> more flexible in the locationmap (although I'm in a noisy net cafe and
> cannot concentrate fully). Can we stick to just one solution?

Yes, why not, but the locationmap is not a solution to my problem right
now, that is how I personally see it. If you can provide an example how
the lm is solving the fallback mechanism for views without defining all
the fallbacks in the lm then I will be more then happy to use it.
--
thorsten

"Together we stand, divided we fall!"
Hey you (Pink Floyd)