forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Thorsten Scherler <thors...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Views] Progress with pelt look'n feel
Date Tue, 02 Aug 2005 10:08:37 GMT
:)

Nice to hear that you make progress.

On Tue, 2005-08-02 at 11:03 +0200, Cyriaque Dupoirieux wrote:
> Hi,
>
>     I would like to share my work with pelt skin applied to views.
>     But I have made few things to make it work and I want to talk with you.
>     I changed the pelt skin in order to :
>
> 1 - Be able to - easily - retrieve some parts of the document such as :
>
>     * The real content - without export links, title, subtitle,
>       abstract, author...
>     * The author of the page...
>
>     To do this I had to add some div tags to embed the searched part.
>
> 2 - Use standard - that is existing - templates :
>
>     * The tabs are marked "nav-main" and "nav-main-sub" in the
>       leather-skin whereas they are marked "tabs" and "level2tabs" in pelt.
>
>           To do this I copy tab2menu.xsl from the leather-dev skin to
> use the same and I have updated the css files.

Ok, I know what you did. You have set your project.skin to pelt, right?
That is not the idea, pelt should not be touched. Everything is based on
leather-dev. I am thinking about moving views back to leather. I am
still thinking how to but I reckon it would be better.

> I think that these changes are not important but they may impact sites
> with deep customization.

Actually we should not touch "old fashion" skins. I would like to keep
them like they are.

> WDYT ?
> (That is can I propose you a patch of the pelt skin in order to
> facilitate the views generation ?)

See above pelt.fv should be based on the "leather-dev" and *not* the
"pelt" skin. Pelt.fv and pelt.css are a theme/skin for views (or
leather-dev).

> The more I work with pelt skin for views and the more I am impressed by
> the CSS ZenGarden http://www.csszengarden.com/ site.

Welcome to the club. ;-)

> I feel that if we generalize some generation rules, it will be easy to
> use exactly the same template for pelt and leather-dev - or any other skins.

jejeje, it is like this (see above). I agree we have to generalize the
tab2*/document2*/book2*.xsl code of leather (or common).

> Some simple rules are :
>
>     * Always embed parts of the document with a <div id="..."> </div> -
>       this is exactly what hooks are for.

You mean in the presentation model which will be passed to the contract
for last transformation?

>     * (For the previous point, maybe the use of class would be better,
>       because with id attribute we cannot display several times the same
>       parts :
>           o for instance you want two search boxes,

That is under the control of the contract writer and yes @class
sometimes make more sense.

>           o or you want navigation arrows to navigate between the pages
>             of your site - and you want a recall of these arrows at the
>             bottom of your site...)
>     * Always embed content parts with <span> in order to be able to skip
>       it :

Yes.

> #specificDiv tag span {display:none;}
>
>           o This is - for instance - used in the following site :
>             http://www.csszengarden.com/?cssfile=/176/176.css&page=0
>             where the header3 (h3) are replaced by pictures...
>
> Since we are going to work on the generation core of forrest, this may
> be the good moment to homogenize our generation rules.

yes.

> WDYT 2 ?

+1

--