forrest-dev mailing list archives

From "Gav...." <brightoncomput...@brightontown.com.au>
Subject FOR-592 - pelt and i18n clarifications
Date Thu, 04 Aug 2005 12:54:27 GMT
Hi All,

With regard to the above issue , which involves the pelt skin not validating
if project.i18n is not set to true I would like to clarify and then ask a
few things.

1. Setting project.i18n in any forrest.properties config file did not seem
to me to make any difference, the static site produced still did not
transform i18n at all. Only setting default-forrest.properties in
/main/webapp produced a static site that was HTML 4.01 compliant due to the
i18n elements being transformed correctly.

2. In /main/forrest.build.xml there is this if statement.

<!-- If the user wants to build i18n in diferent locations this is one way
to implemented it-->
    <if>
        <equals arg1="${project.i18n}" arg2="true"/>
        <then>
          <property name="project.site-dir"
location="${project.build-dir}/site/${user.language}"    />
        </then>
        <else>
          <property name="project.site-dir"
location="${project.build-dir}/site"    />
        </else>
    </if>

This is self explanatory but I have a couple of questions. This if statement
checks whether project.i18n is turned on, and acts accordingly and
correctly. However, this is the only check I can find anywhere (in forrest)
to see if project.i18n=true.

This also means that in the pelt skin a check is not being made as to
whether i18n is turned on or not. If it is on, the pelt skin transforms the
i18n statements correctly. If i18n is turned off, it does not transform
correctly because it can't , all that gets done is i18n gets removed from
any tags, leaving untransfromed and invalid code in place. (such as
<text>...</text> )

Should there be an if statement added to pelt skin to check for
project.i18n=true and act accordingly, as in provide an alternative if it is
turned off -- which it is by default.?

3. How long is it acceptable for the forrest site to remain invalid - can a
temporary measure in the current pelt skin be acceptable, seeing as the way
skins/themes/views are moving forward in a different direction. (In other
words is this worth persuing still)

4. Will it be helpful to provide an XHTML1.1 compliant pelt skin, or
leather-dev as a step forward to XHTML 2.0 (for which there is no W3.org
validator yet)

5. I take it that because of point 1 above, that forrest.apache.org is built
dynamically from the svn and that project.i18n is turned off, any reason for
this, or have I got confused somewhere.?

6. What is the reason for there being a choice in whether i18n is on or off,
why not it be on all the time and be done with it?

7. Should I become a bit more familiar before asking such questions :)

Gav...