forrest-dev mailing list archives

From "Gav...." <brightoncomput...@brightontown.com.au>
Subject Re: Reducing Forrest build time
Date Wed, 10 Aug 2005 10:50:08 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ross Gardler" <rgardler@apache.org>

| That is one of the very important roles of committers within Apache. We
| should be ensuring that we do not duplicate effort between projects and
| therefore we should, as you say, have people in both projects.
|
| You may be interested to know that many of the devs on this list are
| also subscribed to the Cocoon lists (and other related Apache projects,
| such as Lenya). Some are just watching, some are active.
|
| > This may seem as asking someone to do two jobs and work
| > on two projects, but what I mean is someone (x?) to work
| > purely on crossover issues. Maybe somebody is already doing
| > this.
|
| We are all volunteers. We all have our own private reasons for being
| here and giving our time voluntarily. You will often see people talk of
| itches, they may say something like "it's your itch, go scrathc it"
| meaning you cannot expect someone else to do the job, if you think it is
| important then just go and do it.

Thanks, I think that also answers my reply to JJP I just posted.

| We *do* need more people working on cross pollintation between Cocoon
| and Forrest. We also need more people working on fixing the bugs in
| Jira, we need more people working on the docs, we need more people
| supporting our users, we need more people testing, we need more people -
| full stop
|
| If you can help, please do (I recognise the fact that you are looking
| for ways to help, keep it up)
|
| Ross

Keep it up I will, although volunteers can work on any aspect of the
project,
those that have turned into committers have done so by finding a niche area
to concentrate on, this is good for the benefit of the project, in effect,
creating
their own role.

I have yet to find a niche, but in the meantime I'm having a good look
around
and seeing what I can or may be able to do.(Question barage coming up!)

Thanks

Gav...