forrest-dev mailing list archives

From "Gav...." <brightoncomput...@brightontown.com.au>
Subject Re: Using Jira and branches for Project Management
Date Sun, 14 Aug 2005 22:49:26 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ross Gardler" <rgardler@apache.org>

| Jira has powerful filtering facilities, email notification (although it
| seems to be broken right now), XML feeds and the like. We should utilise
| it to keep track of what we *should* be doing. For example, would it be
| useful to encourage users and devs to vote for issues?

Will positive votes then help to (inadvertantly or not) prioritise an issue,
will issues that receive null votes get put on the low-priority list ?

| Jira as powerful linking between issues. There is nothing to stop us
| creating a High level issue that links to the lower level implementation
| issues. We can then export all "high level" issue descriptions to create
| the "roadmap" document you describe. Jira will then help us create links
| between all the dependant buds, issues, tasks etc.

There is the facility to create sub-tasks for an issue, is this what you
mean?
If not I think sub-tasking is worth looking into as it will lessen the
amount of
individual issues and related issues/tasks can all be grouped together.
Having
not seen a sub-task in action I can not see if sub-tasks can be individually
assigned as well as the parent issues.

| In Jira you assign the issue to yourself, this signals that you are
| working on it. I added the interactive forrest issue to the tracker
| precisely so that someone can do that.

Does this include everyone? Having not been here that long I was
'assuming' that only PMC and Commiters were to use that
facility to either assign to themselves or to others. If I knew (being
neither PMC nor Commiter) I could assign to myself I would
have done so by now.

| I would think it is the way we are using Jira that is the problem, not
| Jira itself.
|
| Do my comments above go any way of convincing people of this or am I
| "barking up the wrong tree" (is that an UK or a universal saying? it's
| about dogs chasing cats so I suppose it could be universal)
|
| Ross

I agree, Jira is not being used to its ful potential.

Gav...