forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Defining Views Terminology
Date Sun, 31 Jul 2005 17:51:26 GMT
David Crossley wrote:
> During the various ApacheCon talks i noted some
> terms and words that people were using when they
> tried to describe views and its components.
> Maybe these are helpful to find new names.

Thanks David. Here is what I remember their definition to be. As before
this is meant to facilitate discussion, I am sure other people have
different recollections.

> Stucture

This was used in two contexts: structure of the final output page (as in
forrest:view) and structure of the src page that an editor is concerned
with (i.e. Lenya).

> Glue

I have no recollection of this.

> Controller

This was one of Thorstens favourite terms from the pattern he is
following. To me the controller is the sitemap (but I may be over
simplifying).

> Style
> Presentation
> Theme

I think all these terms became encapsulated in theme as I defined it in
the start of this thread.

Style is usually used in the context of an HTML output. Presentation is
more generic, referring to the look and feel of an output format.

Theme is the Forrest:Views term for both of these together.

> Nugget

Is a bit of dynamic content inclued in a forest:view by a
forrest:contract. By dynamic we mean that it may change between
invocations of Forrest (or between requests if Forrest is running
dynamicaly).

> Aggregate

Forrrest:views aggregate various nuggets (which include the src
document) in a single output document.

> If we clearly define what each phase of the
> processing does, then names will become apparent.

+1

See my summary thread from ApacheCon there are some ASCII diagrams in
which I tried to define this processing, perhaps we should move those
into this thread so we can agree on the processing stages alongside the
terminology.

We should also remember our Forrest 1.0 Working Draft which addresses
this issue from an implementation independant perspective

http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/forrest/trunk/site-author/content/xdocs/TR/2004/WD-forrest10.html

Ross