forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Use Cocoon Portlets rather than views?
Date Sun, 31 Jul 2005 14:50:43 GMT
David Crossley wrote:
> Ferdinand Soethe wrote:
>
>>At ApacheCon Johannes, after listening to the presentation on Cocoon
>>portlets, raised the question if views were not re-inventing the wheel
>>with Cocoon portlets (I hope I remember the name right) already
>>offering a similar functionality.
>>
>>Ross said that he wanted to take a look at the latest version in
>>Cocoon and see if and how far we are actually duplicating
>>functionality.
>>
>>Ross, are you still going to comment on this? Can anybody else please
>>comment? Are we in fact reinventing the wheel here?
>>
>>With all the work going into implementing views, testing and
>>documenting them right now I'd like to see such a discussion happen
>>rather soon.
>

> This is a very interesting topic. I went to Carsten's talk
> about Cocoon Portal at ApacheCon. Being a Cocoon application
> it seemed that it could be integrated easily.
>
> Johannes had a quick experiment at ApacheCon and i think
> talked to Carsten a bit.
>
> I wonder if the way forward is an integration of portals
> and our "views", i.e. the portal does some of the work
> and our views does the rest.

This is what I suspect. Portals are way advanced in terms of integration
of content and config systems. However, from a cursory glance at the
portals I think that views has much to bring to the party with respect
to themes (take a look at the HTML code of a portal generated page on
the demo below, you'll quickly see what I mean.

> There is an online demo at:
> http://cocoon.zones.apache.org/demos/release/samples/blocks/portal/
> and Carsten's session slides are at
> http://wiki.apache.org/apachecon/Eu2005OnlineSessionSlides