forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Use of TODO and FIXME
Date Tue, 26 Jul 2005 10:27:18 GMT
I'd just like to clarify the use of TODO and FIXME tags in our source
code. This is only really relevant to Java code created with Eclipse as
it often creates TODO tags whilst in XSL and the like we only really use
FIXME tags.

A TODO is something that *should* be done but does not need to be done
for the code to be considered complete. A TODO may therefore include
potential refactorings. A FIXME on the otherhand is something that
should be done before the code is complete. It is usually used as a
quick placeholder when testing a possible solution, for example:

try {
   do something
} catch (Excpetion e) {
   // FIXME: handle possible errors gracefully
}

Ross