forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Add support for Googles sitemap protocol?
Date Wed, 13 Jul 2005 23:43:32 GMT
Rasik Pandey wrote:
>      >> It's not the format of the document that is a problem, that part is
>      >> easy. The hard part is knowing when the page has been regnerated
>     because
>      >> of a change.
>      >>

>     (identifying a potential solution to the problem I identified here...)
>
>      > Perhaps you can use the XPathDirectoryGenerator [1] to identify when
>      > files were last modified?
>

> My case uses dynamically generated xml files, so I don't think this is a
> robust solution...?

This is a good point. How about also also providing a generator that
would get the last modified header of remote resources. The results of
the two could be aggregated together.

However, this still is not totally robust, becayse some remote resources
will always indicate that they have changed even when the content has
not (for example Daisy tracks changes to meta-data that Forrest does not
currently use).

> Are you familiar with
> http://cocoon.apache.org/2.1/userdocs/generators/linkstatus-generator.html
> , the documentation is skimpy, but it may be what we need to handle both
> static and dynamic cases.

No I'm not familiar. I wonder what the docs mean by "status". Will it
provide the last modified header as suggested above?

I don't have the time to experiment with it now, but I (and I am sure
other devs) would love to hear about your findings.

> I think both the google and RSS formats are simple enough to provide.
> Although, I may need some assistance to know how to build in hooks from
> skinconf.xml to the sitemap format generation.

I'm not sure what you mean by that. But there are plenty of people here
to answer your questions as they arise.

Ross