forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <>
Subject Re: Add support for Googles sitemap protocol?
Date Wed, 13 Jul 2005 21:16:59 GMT
Rasik Pandey wrote:
> Ross Gardler wrote:
>>> Ferdinand Soethe wrote:
>>> Good point. However, I don't think OAI has a "minimal" form, I did some
>>> preliminary research into it a few months ago. Let me check it out, I'll
>>> report back.
>>> However, I'd still like to see support for Google sitemaps since we can
>>> do it very quickly and it is more "approachable" than OAI since everyone
>>> knows Google.
>>> If we go for the Google format, I'd like to suggest to use slightly
>>> more than the minimum format in this form (as documented in
>>> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
>>> <urlset xmlns="
>" <">>
>>>    <url>
>>>       <loc>;desc=vacation_usa
>  <;desc=vacation_usa></loc>
>>>       <lastmod>2004-11-23</lastmod>
>>>    </url>
>>> </urlset>
>>> and include the 'lastmod' right away as that would be the key to speedy
>>> updates. Can we do that?
> Why not use rss2.0 as the format
>  ?

It's not the format of the document that is a problem, that part is
easy. The hard part is knowing when the page has been regnerated because
of a change.

>> I'd recomend getting the minimal done, then looking at a way of getting
>> the lastmod as well.
> What do you consider the minimal? In rss <pubDate> and <link> ?

The minimum required by Google, i.e those marked requried in the following:

(or if we used RSS instead whatever is required in that format).

>>> Did you see that Google wants the urls to be url encoded? Does our
>>> XSLT-engine have a function for that?
> Why not use the

Why not indeed. Thanks for the pointer.

View raw message