forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Removing docs duplication in SVN
Date Fri, 08 Jul 2005 16:16:48 GMT
Assuming that the locationmap merge is now complete and there aren't any
other hidden surprises in there I think we should consider using this
new feature to remove the duplicated docs in our SVN.

During the docs restructuring it became necessary to duplicate earlier
versions of the docs in site_author. However, these files should never
be changed in trunk, rather in the release branch where they already
exist. Using the locationmap we can have Forrest retrieve the
documentation for earlier versions from the relevant SVN branch.

There is a demo for how this is done in the 0.8 docs (I only just
committed it so it won't be live yet, see the locationmap.xml in
site-author)

This demo uses the viewSVN interface to retrieve the head version of the
document. However, now I think about it there is no need to do this
since SVN operates over http anyway, we can (I think) retrieve it
directly from SVN. Nevertheless, the demo serves as a good example of
how this could be done.

WDYT?

Ross