forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [views] Dir specific view
Date Fri, 08 Jul 2005 07:30:27 GMT
Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-07-07 at 22:32 +0200, Thorsten Scherler wrote:

>>>OK, I'm using this now, just playing to start with. Here is what I want
>>>to do:
>>>
>>>I'm using the branding contracts. On the home page I just have the
>>>branding-tagline-name contract, but on subsections (i.e.
>>>sub-directories) I want to include a branding-tagline-tagline contract
>>>as well. All other parts of the view remain the same.
>>>

>>http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=forrest-dev&m=110107619329543&w=2
>>
>>"You can as well mix atomic parts with grouping templates.
>><forrest:view output-format="xhtml, fo" name="intro">
>>  <forrest:hook name="intro">
>>   <forrest:nugget name="grouplogo"/>
>>   <forrest:call-template name="sports"/>
>>  </forrest:hook>
>></forrest:view>"
>>
>>The nuggets/fbits are called contracts.
>>
>>This feature is not yet implemented but like you see IMO that will have to come pretty
soon.
>>It is easy to implement because it is just a transformation to a xinclude tag away.
;-)

> I could not resist and implemented this in trunk. Please test and report
> back.

:-)) Not played with it yet, but it looks great.

Question 1:

Do you see a problem with having the same fallback mechanism that you
have created for the *.ft files?

We would then be able to create a default.fv with calls to templates.
Then, if we want to override the layout (i.e. add a new contract) we can
add a new default.fv into a subdir or a file.fv for a specific file (as
you currently have implemented). If we want to override the
configuration of a contract within a view we would override the template
with something like sports.ft (subdir default) or sports.index.ft (index
file config).

Question 2:

Should we merge all this stuff together into a single document so the
templates are defined in the *.fv file? We can then add a
<forrest:import src="default.fv"> and override elements within that (as
we do in XSL). This would reduce the number of files quite considerably
and make editing by hand much easier (at least I believe so)

Another (minor) benefit of this is that it would also remove the fixed
naming of view files too ("default" is a little too gneeric, I think we
will find sites with default.html so how would we ovveride the
individual file view in this case).

Ross