forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: plugin domain name
Date Tue, 05 Jul 2005 12:34:48 GMT
Ross Gardler wrote:

> If you donate the code to Forrest (and we accept it) then you will
> assign all copyrights to the ASF

It has been pointed out that I am in error here (thanks David). It is
important to realise that you do not "assign all copyrights" as stated
in the above message. What you do is grant:

    "a perpetual,
    worldwide, non-exclusive, no-charge, royalty-free, irrevocable
    copyright license to reproduce, prepare derivative works of,
    publicly display, publicly perform, sublicense, and distribute Your
    Contributions and such derivative works." [1] [2]

In other words, you allow others to use your work in whatever way they
desire. However, you also retain the rights to use the work in whatever
way you desire:

    "This license is for your protection as a Contributor as
    well as the protection of the Foundation and its users; it does not
    change your rights to use your own Contributions for any other
    purpose." [1] [2]

In short you release your work as Open Source Software [3]

Sorry, this legal stuff gets confusing, questions will be answered to
help you (and me!) understand as and when necessary.

Ross

[1] http://www.apache.org/licenses/icla.txt
[2] http://www.apache.org/licenses/cla-corporate.txt
[3] http://www.opensource.org/docs/definition.php