forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Donation of servlet control code (for Eclipse plugin)
Date Fri, 01 Jul 2005 07:16:47 GMT
David Crossley wrote:
> Ross Gardler wrote:
>
>>David Crossley wrote:
>>
>>This makes the whole update site thing worthless because we will not be
>>able to distribute from the Forrest site.
>

> Sorry, i don't use Eclipse (yet) so i am not much help.
>
> Why does it need the activation.jar to be included in our plugin?

You know, that is a very good question. When I went through the jars the
other day to see which were required now that I have stripped the
JettyPlus stuff, I never actually tried that one. No idea why not.

Anil, could you try removing this from your local copy and see if it
still works.

> Does Eclipse enable users to install additional supporting jars
> that are then available to plugins.
>
> How do other Eclipse plugins cope with this?

You can have dependencies between plugins. It is possible, as Anil
suggested, to create plugin that contains only the non-license
compatible jars. This will then be downloaded from another location.

I'm not sure if this dependency can be automatically resolved or not.
I'll investigate next week (unless Anil finds we don't actually need the
jar - then I will be red faced ;-).

>>Would it be acceptable to make the Forrest Eclipse Update site come from
>>another location? I'm not sure what the legal implications of this would
>>be. It is possible to force the user to agree to license terms on
>>installation, so we could set it up to have both the ASF and Sun
>>licenses in there.
>

> If any site can re-distribute it then Maven would be already.
> I mean, is it only the need for a license click-through that
> prevents it?

I'll have to read the license in detail.

>>Is this one for the legal list?
>

> Perhaps. I presume that other ASF projects already have stumbled
> on this, so i would be surprised if it wasn't raised already.
> Still, perhaps it is worth trying again if we cannot find another
> solution.

I read on eWeek the other day that Sun and IBM have come to an agreement
that allows IBM to distribute Java, perhaps that will help in the medium
to long term.

Another alternative is to try and encourage the Harmony folk to work on
activation.jar first.

Ross