forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Use Cocoon Portlets rather than views?
Date Sun, 31 Jul 2005 12:27:05 GMT
Ferdinand Soethe wrote:

> At ApacheCon Johannes, after listening to the presentation on Cocoon
> portlets, raised the question if views were not re-inventing the wheel
> with Cocoon portlets (I hope I remember the name right) already
> offering a similar functionality.
>
> Ross said that he wanted to take a look at the latest version in
> Cocoon and see if and how far we are actually duplicating
> functionality.
>
> Ross, are you still going to comment on this? Can anybody else please
> comment? Are we in fact reinventing the wheel here?
>
> With all the work going into implementing views, testing and
> documenting them right now I'd like to see such a discussion happen
> rather soon.

This is a very interesting topic. I went to Carsten's talk
about Cocoon Portal at ApacheCon. Being a Cocoon application
it seemed that it could be integrated easily.

Johannes had a quick experiment at ApacheCon and i think
talked to Carsten a bit.

I wonder if the way forward is an integration of portals
and our "views", i.e. the portal does some of the work
and our views does the rest.

There is an online demo at:
http://cocoon.zones.apache.org/demos/release/samples/blocks/portal/
and Carsten's session slides are at