forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Dynamic Content in Forrest
Date Thu, 28 Jul 2005 04:23:55 GMT
Ross Gardler wrote:
> Tim Williams wrote:
> >I'm wondering how folks handle dynamic content within their Forrest
> >sites.
>
> Forrest has a stated goal to provide static representations of sites
> where possible.

We have always said that Forrest is intended to be
either static or dynamic. See the current Introduction
on the home page.

> However, some of us do use it in dynamic environments
> and now we have plugins we can afford to relax things a little with
> respect to dynamic sites.
>
> Having said that, Forrest does not resist dynamic content, it just likes
> to see a static alternative wherever possible. For example, Lucene
> searches can be replaced by a Google search box.

The main thing is that the default configuration for
Forrest needs to be static. For example, Google search
is the default.

This is another case for having multiple "seed" sites.

> In the past Forrest would probably have resisted these ideas. However,
> now we have plugins users/devs can easily create these kinds of
> applications without having to fork Forrest. The question is whether
> Forrest wants to host these kinds of plugins since they will not work in
> a static environment. We'll worry about that later though, they can
> always be hosted elsewhere.

I don't see any reason not to keep such plugins at
forrest.apache.org

David