forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Diwaker Gupta <diwa...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Wizard to create a New Site
Date Thu, 28 Jul 2005 03:41:13 GMT
On Wednesday 27 July 2005 5:22 pm, Anil Ramnanan wrote:
> I am moving on to the Wizard to create a new Forrest Site. Currently,
> the wizard does the following:

I think we should expedite the discussion on the new Forrest configuration
system, so that Anil can put in efforts once into the right place.

> - Enter the name of the site
> - Choose if you want forrest:views activated

If views are enabled, then depending on what contracts are present, the user
might also want to specify things such as the branding-tagline

> - Choose the plugins that you will be using for that site

I think we are going to run into this problem again and again unless we
finalize a uniform architecture for configuration. For instance, some plugins
might become *necessary* simply because the view/template uses their
functionality (consider the pdf-link contract, for instance). Should we leave
it upto the user to pick up the right set? Or should we introduce some notion
of dependencies between contracts and plugins?

> What else is needed when setting up a new site ? I was thinking of the
> following:
>
> - Set the project and group names for the project
> - Choose to enable links such as PDF, POD etc
> - Set Copyright statement and feedback link.

All this seems to in line with the current skinconf.xml, but in conflict with
the design of views. Hmm.. I'm not thinking very clearly now, let me get back
to this in a bit :-)

Meanwhile it'll be interesting to see what other people have to say on this.

Diwaker
--
Web/Blog/Gallery: http://floatingsun.net