forrest-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Submitting Patches
Date Thu, 07 Jul 2005 01:34:25 GMT
Ross Gardler wrote:
> Anil Ramnanan wrote:
> >Ross Gardler wrote:
> >>
> >>Install the subclipse plugin
> >>http://www.eclipse-plugins.info/eclipse/plugin_details.jsp?id=338
> >>
> >>I'm not exactly sure how well this works, or how you use it as I use
> >>the command line options, it is harder to learn, but more controllable
> >>in the long run.
> >>
> >Subclipse has a menu option to create a patch. Can I use that to create
> >the patches ?
>
> I don't use subclipse so I can tell you I'm afraid. If you want to try
> it then use it for your next patch and I'll tell you if it is OK.

Whether you use the svn command-line client or a fancy client,
then you still need to make sure you know how to operate SVN properly.
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/ is a must.

e.g. Make sure to do three things before creating the patch:

* Do 'svn update' to be in sync with the repository in case
someone else changed your files in SVN.

* Do 'svn status' to ensure that you are not including
unnecessary changes.

* Do 'svn diff' to ensure that changes are what you expect.

After creating the patch, open it with a text editor and review it.

-David