forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Eclipse based site.xml editor (Re: Requesting Comments on Eclipse Plugin Deliverables)
Date Wed, 29 Jun 2005 06:43:02 GMT
Ross Gardler wrote:
> Gregor J. Rothfuss wrote:
>
>> Ross Gardler wrote:
>>
>>> Well, in that case I would avoid EMF for this instance and we need
>>> not consider whether site.xml is to have a DTD or not. Just a tree
>>> editor with configurable properties on each node will do just fine.
>>
>> the completely free-form site.xml where each node can have pretty much
>> any element name doesn't lend itself to a schema / DTD easily. maybe
>> it would be useful to revisit that decision and switch to a system
>> where you have
>>
>> <node id="uniqueid" href="index.html" label="About"/>
>>
>> this would also enforce that each node has a unique id and is
>> therefore addressable by site:uniqueid
>>
>> WDYT?
>
> I think we discussed this to death already ;-)
>
> There are good reasons for us not doing that (all related to the site:
> protocol if I remember correctly). There have been a few proposals for a
> DTD but none have had a strong enough use case to warrant us disabling
> the site: protocol. The current practice is that if we need a valid site
> structure document then we simply create a internal plugin (like the
> IMSManifest plugin) for it.
>
> Of course, no such decision is ever final. If someone wants to go
> through the archives and make a new proposal we'll consider it.

Ok, here it comes :-)

One thing is the *internal* representation, that must be kept as now
because of the way the site: protocol works. But this does not mean that
we cannot decide to make the _default_ external representation be different.

Personally, I would support we change the default external
representation to something akin to what Gregor proposes, and in
particular the same as the Lenya one.

I would be even more supportive if Lenya and Cocoon adopt the Maven one,
so that we would have a single format for all these projects.

            - verba volant, scripta manent -