forrest-dev mailing list archives

From "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gre...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] IRC vs. Skype
Date Fri, 10 Jun 2005 18:46:14 GMT
Ross Gardler wrote:

> I completely agree that no design discussion should be carried out on
> anthing other than EMail.
>
> I agree that we should frown upon the use of any communication that is
> not carried out via email, but do not agree that it is possible to
> always follow that rule.
>
> When we meet at ApacheCon will we have to sit in silence and communicate
> via IRC because some community memebers will not be present? (obvioulsy
> you are not suggesting this, I'm merely trying to illustrate that
> sometimes rules have to be broken)
>
> I will not vote against the creation of an IRC channel (as long as the
> bot is in place), but I do not want anyone to think that a lack of a
> vote against implies that I think it is a good idea, it only means that
> it *may* be useful one day, just as Skype is useful sometimes too.

some experience from lenya: the irc channel is more a watering hole
where people lurk and banter than have design decisions.

it has helped community members to know each other better. i do not
think it poses a danger of fragmentation.

i actually would be happier if the cocoon and lenya channels would merge
(the traffic is not very high ,and the cross-pollination would be good).
same for forrest

as for skype, i have used it in one on one situations to get a fellow
dev set up with eclipse, for instance. i do not think it is useful for
groups.