forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] A CMS for our Docs
Date Tue, 07 Jun 2005 06:58:02 GMT
David Crossley wrote:
> Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>
>>David Crossley wrote:
>>>I find this very alarming. Some people at Infrastructure are
>>>trying to get a cross-project environment established for managing
>>>documentation tools and site-building. All PMCs were asked to
>>>join and discuss this. Some people have, but mainly the process
>>>has stalled again.
>>
>>Because it's discussion instead of DIY.
>
> Necessary discussion. The main issue was/is trying to solve how
> ASF projects can conduct oversight of the content, how the tools
> would get maintained, and oversight of the publishing process.
> That is a requirement.

But it's not a requirement that experimentation stops in the meantime.

You have called this "alarming", I disagree. I would be alarmed if, once
the rules are decided, people would not want to follow them. But before
that, stopping things is only harmful.

As soon as new needs come out from site-dev, please relay them here, so
that we can make the system compliant with the requirements.

>>>Instead we see projects like Cocoon rushing off to do their
>>>own thing. Now we will get duplicate instances of Daisy/Forrest.
>>
>>I find it very constructive that people are rushing to make it work.
>>Consolidation can come later.
>
> Good in theory. In my OSS experience "consolidation" never happens.
> People rush on to the next new thing.

In my -personal- experience, discussions rarely lead to action.

How long have I talked about the locationmap? Have I ever done anything
concrete on it? How long has the Doco document been waiting? How much
time has passed since the first mail on repository@apache.org?

>>Would it be better just to see this as an experiment, and not (yet)
>>really move the docs there till we have a vote with a working system and
>>a plan?
>
> Perhaps we should start with a specific set of user-oriented
> documents, and leave the core docs in the current system.

We can start using it as a "super wiki", I agree.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -