forrest-dev mailing list archives

From "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gre...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Add support for Googles sitemap protocol?
Date Sat, 04 Jun 2005 15:40:54 GMT
Ross Gardler wrote:
> Ferdinand Soethe wrote:
>
>> This seems to makes a lot of sense in terms of better indexing and
>> doesn't sound too complex to implement if we have a url-encoder
>> somewhere.

this makes a ton of sense.

> Can you provide an overview of what is required with a link to more
> info. I have no idea what this is.

https://www.google.com/webmasters/sitemaps/stats

basically a way to alert google and other search engines to all the
pages in your site, as originally proposed in 1997!

http://davenet.scripting.com/1997/12/15/realWorldXml

(this is the old dave winer, at his best, without all the ranting :)

>> The tricky part - though more of a nice to have - is to automate
>> reporting of changes to the google sitemap.

you don't have to do that. the crawler will visit this special sitemap
quite frequently ;)

-gregor