forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Brett Presnell <presn...@stat.ufl.edu>
Subject Re: [views] Skin updated
Date Tue, 07 Jun 2005 10:58:33 GMT

I'm sorry not to have said anything earlier, but since your skin is
set to become the default, I think I'd better comment.

Since you make the look "fancier" a few days ago by adding the
containing box and putting some restriction on how narrow (or wide?)
the page can be, it comes out badly formatted for me, with some of the
menus and/or text overrunning the boundaries of the box.  For example,
when viewing the the current version of your homepage, the main
horizontal navigational menu across the top runs outside the box, as
does your public key.  On this page,
<URL:http://resolute.ucsd.edu/diwaker/articles/linux-dell-8600.html>,
the lspci output, the excerpt from your XF86Config file, and other
such things overflow the box badly, and even worse than they might
otherwise because they are indented so far.

I'm sure that most of this is due to the fact that I use fairly large
font sizes (getting old), but I'm sure I'm not the only one.  There is
probably not much that can or should be done about the overflow of
literal text (e.g., your public key), but I think your original style
(no box, use maximum browser width) was probably better for presenting
this sort of material.

The menu thing seems more serious to me.  If the box is going to be
there, then I think the horizontal menu should wrap gracefully when it
doesn't fit in the box (although you probably have a better idea).

FWIW, all this is when viewing from Firefox 1.0.4 under Ubuntu Linux
running on an IBM T42 at 1400x1040.

--
Brett Presnell
Department of Statistics

"We don't think that the popularity of an error makes it the truth."
   -- Richard Stallman