forrest-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Tim Williams <william...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: release plan for 0.7
Date Fri, 10 Jun 2005 13:16:54 GMT
On 6/9/05, David Crossley <crossley@apache.org> wrote:
> Ross Gardler wrote:
> > David Crossley wrote:
> > >Ross Gardler wrote:
> > >>David Crossley wrote:
> > >>
> > >>>During "code freeze" we cannot add any new functionality, just bug
> > >>>fixes and documentation tweaks [4].
> > >>
> > >>Does this also apply to the locationmap branch, that is "branch" in note
> > >>[4] means the release branch and trunk, it has nothing to do with other
> > >>branches.
> > >
> > >It meant to refer to trunk and release branch. Other branches are
> > >free to carry on.
> > >
> > >However, don't take "code-freeze" too literally. We should define
> > >what it means. I reckon that it means no new functionality,
> > >because that could introduce new bugs. Doing bug fixing if they
> > >are substantial bugs. What else? Does the cleanup of the sitemaps
> > >qualify? If done carefully, then probably okay. WDOT?
> >
> > I'd prefer to be a little more restrictive than allowing the sitemap
> > restructuring. As I understand it, and would prefer it, even a minor
> > commit will result in us (you?) having to rebuild the release
> > distribution and us retesting.
> 
> Correct.
> 
> > In other words. Code-Freeze should mean *no* non-essential commits,
> > which means bug fixes only (which will include corrections to docs).
> > There should be no code enhancements (which means no sitemap refactoring).
> 
> Okay, then we are agreed on what code-freeze means.
> 
> As you can see, there will probably be docs corrections, so we will
> need to do a second release candidate. That is why i planned for it.
> If there were no bugfixes, then re-testing is easy - just need someone
> to verify the md5 and PGP. But remember that the vote must be against
> the final release candidate.
> 
> > We can do a 0.7.1 which includes the sitemap refactoring and the cocoon
> > related issues once Cocoon head reaches a stable state again.
> 
> Only if we really must. We can still add to the release branch
> if people think it necessary. We don't actually need to release it,
> unless there is a major problem like there was with 0.5

I personally don't think it's necessary.  I think we should wait until
the locationmap stuff is solid and then include that thinking into the
sitemap refactoring.  Right now we have no problems with it and I
wouldn't want that to introduce any.

--tim

Mime
View raw message