forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Williams <william...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Slide Integration
Date Wed, 01 Jun 2005 18:09:05 GMT
Sent to dev as suggested.

> Tim Williams wrote:
> > Has anyone already documented how to use Slide as a backend to
> > Forrest?  If not maybe some high-level pointers of where to start?
>
> Nobody has documented this, or to my knowledge tried it.
>
> You'd probably find more help on the dev list, where we will be glad to
> help you. Please send your question there with a description of a use
> case describing exactly how you would like the integration to work (may
> seem like an obvious thing, but it gives us a common language to
> communicate ides with).
>
> Ross

I guess I could give long and short term goals/use-cases.

In the short term,
I'd like to simply be able to point  "project.xdocs-dir" in
forrest.properties to a slide repository like:
project.xdocs-dir=http://127.0.0.1:8080/slide/xdocs

In this way, I could use Epic or Spy to author documents using the
versioning (among other) features of Slide and publish them using
Forrest.

In the long term,
I'd like to do the same as above, but have some sort of workflow state
metadata understood by both the authoring environment (Epic/Spy) and
publishing engine (Forrest).  I'm thinking some fairly simple states
like: New, Author, Edit, Publish and then Forrest would be able to
inspect that metadata and only publish those documents with the
"Publish" state.

The long term part still has much to be figured out such as the
impacts on navigation for document creations/deletions but I hope all
ultimately workable.  For now, if I could get some tips for where to
start on the short term of pointing xdocs at a webdav location.

Thanks,
--tim