forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Donation of servlet control code (for Eclipse plugin)
Date Wed, 29 Jun 2005 10:42:16 GMT
David Crossley wrote:
> Ross Gardler wrote:
>
>>The Burrokeet project (http://www.burrokeet.org) voted to donate their
>>Servlet controller code to the Apache Forrest project. This code
>>improves the way that the Forrest Eclipse Plugin starts and stops the
>>Jetty server. The Forrest code was already dependant on the Burrokeet
>>code, but Burrokeet only uses it in conjunction with Forrest. Therefore,
>>in order to remove the dependency of Forrest on Burrokeet the code has
>>been donated here.
>>
>>I have relicensed the code (I was the previous Copyright holder) and
>>committed it to
>>tools/eclipse/plugins/org.apache.forrest.eclipse.servletEngine
>>
>>This resolves issue FOR-503
>

> Thanks.
>
> I see a number of issues:
> * duplicate jars, we already have some of them in forrest core.

Yes, I'm not quite sure how to best resolve this. The plugin is useful
as a standalone plugin, so should really be self-contained. I'll raise
an issue.

> * jars without accompanying licenses.
> * jar filenames not following our naming convention.

Sorry, Lazy, I will sort that out today.

> * compiled classes were committed together with a "build" directory
> at plugins/org.apache.forrest.eclipse.servletEngine/build/org/burrokeet/

Doh! Will sort.

> * bad URL for License in features/org.apache.forrest.eclipse.feature/feature.xml

Oh, I missed that, sorry.

> * Two references to org.burrokeet (in feature.xml and NewProjectWizard.java).

That is because I had not moved the code over to ASF when Anil built the
feature. Anil, can you patch this please.

> * bloated distribution.
>
> This commit r202158 added a huge quantity of data.
> Our svn checkout was 132816 kb before and 144516 kb after
> (an increase of 9%). We already have problems with the size
> of the distribution due to all the Cocoon stuff.

There is no need for this tool to be included in the distribution. How
about we move the eclipse support stuff into a separate SVN tree?

Although, most of that bloat is from duplicated jars so the above issue
may solve this.

Ross