forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Project participation and hackability
Date Mon, 27 Jun 2005 12:51:11 GMT
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> Ross Gardler wrote:
>
>> Once we have an RC built we only allow bug fixes in trunk, new
>> features are developer in a branch.
>

> I wouldn't be that strong. If I'm adding a new feature to the trunk, but
> this does not interfere with prior behaviour, there are no problems.
> It's just about keeping the trunk possibly bug-free, as far as the
> developer is concerned.

The above was only when we were in the "moving to a release state" i.e.
we had actually build and released a release candidate. During normal
development I would agree on branches for major work only.

>> But this will prevent complete features being merged with trunk
>> because incomplete features are brought into the branch. All that will
>> happen there is that the branch will get into the state that trunk was
>> in before the 0.7 release and we will split our devs between creating
>> new features in the branch and maintaining trunk (not necessarily a
>> bad thing, but do we have enough devs for this?)
>

> We should not get into a situation in which an incomplete feature merges
> with a more complete branch. This happens when development is too long,
> and people start using the branch as their trunk.

Right, I get it now. That is what David said with respect to the
locationmap branch, views and the delay on the 0.7 release.

Ross