forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <>
Subject Re: Retirement of docs (Re: New documentation structure, next steps)
Date Tue, 14 Jun 2005 09:40:46 GMT
Ferdinand Soethe wrote:
>>= old dtds that are no longer required for active versions
>>    (document-v11 and -v12) but might still be wanted on special
>>    occasions. I'm thinking about having a separate folder or folders
>>    for these where we move them as a first step of their retirement
>>    while still keeping them linked before gradually throwing them out
>>    alltogether.
>>    Having them in a separate directory makes it easy for people to
>>    signal their intent of retiring them in the future (by moving them
>>    there) and allow us to check and clean the folder before each
>>    release. Deleting a file from here will still be a case-ba-case
>>    descision of course.

It is a good idea to clearly mark deprecated DTD's. In fact I would go a
step further and say we move them to a deprecatedDTD plugin. This would
be an internal plugin. This would leave only active DTD's in core so new
users will not be tempted to use deprecated ones.

However, it is not as simple as it may sound. For example, document1.3
extends document 1.2 which extends document 1.1, therefore for document
1.3 we need all earlier versions. It would therefore seem that the first
step would be to do as you propose, move the earlier DTD's into a
deprecated folder and think about the next step later.

View raw message