forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: merge the docs-reorg branch (Was: release plan for 0.7)
Date Sun, 12 Jun 2005 21:17:31 GMT
David Crossley wrote:

>>As we already knew, one of the difficult parts of this release
>>is to get the website docs published properly. We think that we have
>>worked out a better solution and are going to develop that in a new branch.
>

> Okay we have worked on this over the last few days, and we reckon that
> we have a good solution. The docs-reorg branch is ready to be merged
> back to the trunk. We plan to do that tomorrow before the code-freeze.
>
> I have uploaded the docs to my committer space so that you can see
> our solution:
> http://people.apache.org/~crossley/docs-reorg/

Sorry I've not provided feedback sooner. I've been away. However, here
it is now...

The navigation link to http://forrest.apache.org/0.8/ is still gives a
404. Will this be fixed when the site is deployed? I note that the
sub-tab for 0.8 docs goes to a sensible page, so suspect the above is
just a hard coded URL issue since it points at forrest.apache.org rather
than people.apache.org.

http://forrest.apache.org/0.7/docs.html shows the versions of docs
available. It currently only lists 0.6 and 0.7, should we add 0.8-dev?

If I go to the 0.8 docs (which took me an *age* to find, it is not at
all intuitive to go to the 0.7 tab in order to get to the 0.8 docs)
there is no indication that I am in 0.8. There is no 0.8 tab (no tab is
selected either) and the MOTD says I am in 0.7.

If I am on the 0.8 home page  at
http://people.apache.org/~crossley/docs-reorg/docs_0_80/index.html and I
then click on plugins, I am take back to the 0.7 docs at
http://people.apache.org/~crossley/docs-reorg/docs/plugins/index.html
(no version number).

This last point is the issue I raised concerning r190111 in which the
plugin docs were removed from the versioned documentation space. There
is currently no way of representing versioned plugins. In my view
r190111 needs to be reverted. See
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?t=111849554800001&r=1&w=2 for discussion.

Ross

Ross