forrest-dev mailing list archives

From "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gre...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Forrest + Lenya (Re: [PROPOSAL] A CMS for our Docs)
Date Thu, 09 Jun 2005 13:28:03 GMT
Ross Gardler wrote:

> Yes, this is my biggest complaint about Daisy right now. Every single
> change gets the same "priority" in the version management system. So if
> I change a single letter, it create a new version and generates a commit
> mail.
>
> Wiki's deal with this by allowing you to mark something as a minor edit.
> But that doesn't work in my experience, people just don't bother (try
> subscribing to an active Wikipedia page for example).

indeed. i was hoping that the frequency would be reduced by only storing
approved versions in SVN.

> However, Nicola points out that if a committer creates a document
> directly in SVN it will not be present in the Lenya repo for editing.
> Lenya will have to address this, in the medium term, in some way. I'm
> not familiar enough with Lenya to make any suggestions though.

doug chestnut is working on WebDAV integration right now, which might
help with this. as a start, people could do their docs offline, and then
  add them to lenya through webdav. lenya then takes care of checking
them in to the lenya revision control, doing workflow initialization,
and whatever else is required to make a document editable in lenya.

this wouldn't solve checking into SVN yet, but it might be a reasonable
start. at least you could edit docs offline with your favorite tools.