forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Forrest + Lenya (Re: [PROPOSAL] A CMS for our Docs)
Date Thu, 09 Jun 2005 10:48:56 GMT
Gregor J. Rothfuss wrote:
> Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>
>> Hmmm... wait a second. Let's say that I add myfile.xml to SVN... can
>> it be later edited in Lenya?
>

> that could be made to work. needs some initialization though, because
> lenya creates worfklow histories etc for each document.

Nicola raises an important point, we need to address this.

>> Also, is it good to bypass all the publishing workflow?
>

> presumably, a committer knows what they are doing,

Furthermore, we are not really bypassing the publishing workflow since
it is only committers who can publish to the final docs anyway. They are
just bypassing the initial review cycle.

It's the same as the the current code contribution workflow:

Non committers:

edit code -> submit patch -> committer review -> apply patch ->
community review

committers:

edit code -> apply patch -> community review

>> What is confusing me is the presence of two repos, and editing made
>> possible on the publishing one. Please excuse my ignorance, but can't
>> Lenya use just SVN as a repo?
>

> that is definitely a goal, too. it currently can't, yet. another point
> for two repos is that you dont want every little diff in SVN, just the
> ones that are being approved. lenya saves a version for every edit
> cycle, and there can be an unlimited number of those before someone
> decides to submit it for approval.

Yes, this is my biggest complaint about Daisy right now. Every single
change gets the same "priority" in the version management system. So if
I change a single letter, it create a new version and generates a commit
mail.

Wiki's deal with this by allowing you to mark something as a minor edit.
But that doesn't work in my experience, people just don't bother (try
subscribing to an active Wikipedia page for example).

However, Nicola points out that if a committer creates a document
directly in SVN it will not be present in the Lenya repo for editing.
Lenya will have to address this, in the medium term, in some way. I'm
not familiar enough with Lenya to make any suggestions though.

Ross