forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Questions about the release instructions
Date Wed, 08 Jun 2005 07:23:53 GMT
David Crossley wrote:
> Ross, are you able to explain what needs to happen with the plugins
> at release-time. I mean do they all need to have "-0.7" appended
> to the names of the zip files?

Blast I forgot that entirely (again!). Yes we need two zipped versions,
a pluginname-0.7.zip and a pluginname-0.8-dev.zip

The system will then download the correct version for the currently
installed version of Forrest. This will allow us to have a separate
release cycle for plugins, if we deploy from a 0.8-dev version of
Forrest then we will have the 0.8-dev zip file.

However, now I write that down I don't like it because there is no
distinction between a 0.1 version of a plugin for Forrest 0.7 and a 1.0
version of a plugin for Forrest 1.0 (for example)

How about I change it to put the plugins in a directory so we have:

0.7/plugingOne-0.1.zip
0.7/plugingTwo-0.2.zip

0.8-dev/pluginOne-0.2-dev.zip
0.8-dev/plugingTwo-0.2.zip

We only allow *-dev plugins in the current *-dev branch of Forrest

We can worry about the release process for plugins after this release
(just get them out there for 0.7, we can blow the trumpet on subsequent
upgrade releases)

> Do we need to add something to our RELEASE_BOTES.txt file?

Yes, a section on plugins with a link to the plugins page, I'll add to
project-info plugin

> Does someone need to tweak the build file?

Yes, leave it with me, I'll implement the above with whatever
modifications people think we need.

Ross