forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] A CMS for our Docs
Date Mon, 06 Jun 2005 15:15:52 GMT
Ferdinand Soethe wrote:
> I guess the whole issue might come down to a question of philosophy.
>
> And while I have fears for our content, I must admit that some wikis
> such as Wikipedia have evolved into high quality content without a
> controlling hand.
>
> What seems hard to achieve will be to maintain a bit of control. We
> can either go for an open system or stick with the old, or use daisy
> with as much control as the old system (but then where is the
> benefit)?

I agree with the intent of what you are saying, but it is not an open
system or a closed system. I am proposing a step in between. See my
other mail re workflow. We go from:

checkout svn -> edit -> generate patch -> submit patch -> review patch
-> publish/reject

edit -> review changes -> publish/reject

Note that the last two stages (the control part) are the same. It is
only the first stages (the ease of editing) that has changed.

Furthermore, I am not talking about open editing like wikipedia (which
allows anonymous edits). I am talking about "controlled open" editing.
That is you must register to be able to edit.

Ross