forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Locationmap now works for repositories
Date Sun, 05 Jun 2005 20:42:42 GMT
Tim Williams wrote:

>>>After reading, studying *.xmap, and re-reading, I think I'm
>>>understanding this a bit better.  My question is should the
>>>locationmap match be moved earlier in the pipeline?  I got the
>>>behaviour I would have expected by moving it immediately before all of
>>>the i18n matches for regular source content.
>>
>>No. If it were moved to before the i18n match for *.xml files it would
>>prevent that code from working since the first match in which the
>>generator is executed is the *only* match that will run.
>>
>>Is there a reason why you want to move it earlier?
>

> Because a match in xdocs takes precedence over locationmap right now.

Yes, this is by design. The assumption is that it is more efficient to
use a local file than a remote one and so the local file takes
precedence if it is present. Besides, if we don't give priority to local
files it will break backward compatability, which we cannot do.

In the final version of the Locationmap system it is likely that *all*
files will be served via the locationmap which will have a default of
serving from the local filesystem. However, I'm not sure how to do this
without breaking the i18N stuff, at least not yet.

Note that the locationmap is not actually scheduled until 0.9. It is
likely that it will first be added as an alpha feature into 0.8-dev once
0.7 is released. This will have to go to a community vote though.

> of course site.xml and tabs.xml which are handled differently than
> other content in xdocs.

They are, but they need not be. This is something that needs to be
addressed. We should be able to get site.xml and tabs.xml from the
locationmap source too.

> Also, are you looking into expanding it for resource (graphics
> specifically) content too?

Yes. My goal is to be able to use the locationmap for everything.
However, this is a pretty big job and could introduce many unexpected
bugs so would need lots of testing. As you get more comfortable with
sitemaps and the like, perhaps you can help (hint resources are handled
by the resources.xmap file).

Ross