forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Why using views - in comparison with "old fashion" skins - usecase i18n.
Date Sun, 05 Jun 2005 13:37:28 GMT
Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> hello devs,
>
> I just work on the i18n integration for pelt and crossed again the whys
> for using views. ;-)

This mail makes for a pretty good piece of documentation.

A number of times over the last couple of weeks I have wanted to write a
mail asking you to write some user level documentation for views. You
see, I keep finding a few minutes to play with new stuff and Views is
one of the things I keep starting up and looking at. However, I never
get past looking at it.

The reason is that I am thoroughly confused by the huge amount of RT's
that have been posted on this subject. It currently seems to me that
views are the solution to eveything. This makes it really difficult for
me to get started. So I was going to ask you to write a simple How-To on
creating a new contract, and then embedding it in my own site.

As I say, I have resisted asking you to do this because I know I have
very little time for views until 0.7 is released, all my none payed for
time is currently spent on the 0.7 release. However, this RT is *almost*
the how to I want to see so perhaps I should be brave enough to ask.

Is there any chance you can move the *user* relevant parts into a How-To
for views? It doesn't matter if it is not complete, just something that
will enable poor old me to get past the confusion of "views does
everything" to views does "this nice simple task like this".

Maybe my poor little brain can catch up with you then :-)

Thanks,
Ross