forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Add support for Googles sitemap protocol?
Date Sun, 05 Jun 2005 13:12:56 GMT
Ross Gardler wrote:
> Ferdinand Soethe wrote:
>

>>> The only requried information in the sitemap is the URL. This means we
>>> can create the Google sitemap now, with minimal effort. Over time we can
>>> enhance this by adding further meta-data once it becomes available.
>>

>> I'm happy to go for the Google format, I just thought that our
>> commitment to standards would tip the balance towards OAI. Does OAI
>> not allow for a minimal form like Googles'?
>

> Good point. However, I don't think OAI has a "minimal" form, I did some
> preliminary research into it a few months ago. Let me check it out, I'll
> report back.

OK, I've rechecked the schema and the OAI-PMH schema requires that a
date be provided in headers for each record (which coresponds to a
documet in our case). This means we need the last modified date
otherwise our data will be inaccurate, that is using last-published will
make harvesters think that the file was modified on that date.

see
http://www.openarchives.org/OAI/2.0/openarchivesprotocol.htm#OAIPMHschema

Furthermore, as I mentioned in a previous mail, OAI is not about
indexing documents (like the Google sitemap) it is about indexing
meta-data. To use OAI-PMH for anything worthwdile requires quite a bit
of additional functionality like complete meta-data etc. I *do* want to
see this included but do not believe it is appropriate to the vast
majority of our present users.

I think we should proceed with the simpler case of Google and return to
OAI wen we have a meta-data system in place.

Ross