forrest-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: locationmap - not finishing the pipeline
Date Sat, 04 Jun 2005 21:46:51 GMT
Ross Gardler wrote:
> Tim Williams wrote:

>>> Well that isn't very helpful, I suppose we better fix that ;-)
>>>
>>> I have no idea how this can be happening. Are you able to confirm that
>>> the file is being read from slide correctly?
>>

>> Well, it appears that the hello2document.xsl in the local sitemap.xmap
>> is the culprit.  Probably should have figured something so simple.
>

> Blast, sorry that should not have been in the sitemap for that matcher.
> Sorry, this probably took you a while to figure out.

>>> Is your request to Forrest for demo.html or demo.xml?
>>

>> I've got maps set up for both since I don't really understand *how*
>> this is really working yet, I'm doing some serious trial and error and
>> covering all bases.  So for each, here's what i get:
>>
>> demo.html - what i've learned (thanks) is now the equivalent of
>> body-demo.html, seems it stops processing there and never applies the
>> skin.  I'm getting no errors and the core log is of no help.
>>

> I wouldn't expect that to work since you have added a matcher that will
> prevent the existing matchers in Forrest from processing the request for
> *.html. More below...
>
>> demo.xml - the unprocessed, straight xml from SVN's freshsite.
>

> OK this is good. If you remove the matcher you created for *.html then
> the Forrest matcher for such patterns should be used instead, this one
> does all the skinning. In other words, it should "just work"

Correction. It doesn't work that way. I won't go into why because it is
late and I don't want to have to think about it right now. I'll come
back to this when I can.

However, I have committed a fix for the problem of having to hard code
the path to the locationmap.

> If you haven't done so already I recommend you read
> http://forrest.apache.org/docs/sitemap-ref.html this may help you
> understand how this happens. Of course, it may not since it is a
> technical doc that assumes a level of knowledge. It would be useful to
> know how effective you feel this doc is.

It will still be worth reading this for background if you haven't done so.

Ross